University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn
The University of Warmia and Mazury was founded in 1999 on 1st September. This establishment took place when 3 higher education institutions in Olsztyn were merged including the Warmian Theological Institute and the Higher School of Pedagogy.
There were as many as 12 faculties, 24,500 students, plus 32 study branches at UWM initially in 1999. As per the Act of Establishment of the University, Prof. Ryszard Górecki, PhD. became the first rector of the University. UWM has experienced a significant transformation since it was founded in 1999. It would be very difficult to achieve this kind of progress without the financial help of the European Union.
At present, you will come across as many as 17 faculties at the University, and amongst these, 11 come with full academic rights. Moreover, it will be possible to grant a doctoral degree within 24 disciplines at 16 faculties.
You will come across 27,000 students in the academic year 2014/15 that receive education at 65 study branches and 17 faculties out there. Apart from this, there are likewise 1500 postgraduate students and 600 doctoral candidates.
The University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn has received the title of a university which is student-friendly 2 times already in the year 2004 and 2008 from the Student Parliament of Poland.
Have you ever thought about why the Parliament makes this kind of decision? The active participation of the students in the work of the recruitment committee and the University Senate plus their way of coping with disagreements might be responsible for this. Besides this, the Student Parliament likewise considered some other attributes such as teaching foreign languages for free, the number of students every one professor, the general relaxing and studying conditions, safeguarding essays against plagiarism, as well as the likelihood of developing the interests of the students. Amongst other things which they considered had been the collection of the University of Warmia and Mazury library, their accessibility and standard for the disabled, support for the work of the students, as well as the financial support for the student organizations and scientific societies.
What are the strategic goals of the UWM?
- To pursue the advancement of top-quality scientific research, particularly for a new economy, for instance, by participating in research programs in various countries including Poland.
- To implement high education standards ideal for the requirements of society, especially considering the area of Warmia and Mazury.
- To enable the University to carry on its research and educational activities globally.
- To ensure the University’s financial stability, particularly by a significant reduction of its debt.
How to make an application?
- Fill out the form for application in the IRK System after creating an account. Do not forget to add your academic documents, passport, and so on.
- Make a payment of 85 PLN for registration for an account that is going to be created in the IRK profile.
- You may send the documents for control to the assessment centre ENIC/NARIC. Make sure to send your documents to the relevant address by post after getting a positive reply from ENIC/NARIC.
- Get prepared for the examination (not applicable for every candidate and program).
- You will receive your application results in the IRK account. You have to approve the decision of undertaking a program while getting admitted.
- The applicant will receive the acceptance letter.
You’ll come across as many as 188 student organizations and scientific societies on the campus along with the University radio station, magazines and television, the UWM Choir, Kortowo Folklore Dance and Song Troupe, the renowned volleyball team known as AZS UWM, and so forth. All of these constitute a fantastic cultural and social environment for communicating and acquiring experience by coming in touch with individuals from different fields as well as from different nations.
It is a fact that the University of Warmia and Mazury is located within a picturesque portion of the city which happens to be the Kortowo Campus. All the requirements of learning, recreation, and leisure will be satisfied at the Kortowo Campus. Taking up a 230-hectare area, this campus is encircled by as many as 4 lakes and forests, and the largest one happens to be the Kortowskie Lake creating wonderful conditions for relaxation activities. All the requirements of the students are satisfied by Kortowo right here while providing them with everything needed to lead a healthy and happy lifestyle.
- teaching buildings,
- 12 dormitories,
- recreation areas and sports fields,
- post office,
- sports stadium,
- swimming pool,
- medicine centre,
- greenery and parks,
- student clubs,
- plus an area with extremely well-developed infrastructure, consisting of lecture halls, modern laboratories, and research facilities.
Besides this, Kortowo harbour provides a fantastic water equipment rental service consisting of rowing boats, sailboats, kayaks, water bikes as well as surfboats. The University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn likewise comes with a contemporary swimming pool area which includes the main pool, Jacuzzi, a small basin, and saunas. The forest close to Kortowo will provide a fantastic opportunity for all those who prefer jogging. You will come across approximately 44 km of cycling routes in Olsztyn as well. Nevertheless, the forest paths are much more intriguing that will allow you to savour the picturesque landscapes plus unpolluted air far from the hectic city life.
It will be possible for you to select any of the ten dormitories in Kortowo according to your preference. They feature single, double, as well as triple rooms which are properly furnished with refrigerators, Internet access, plus private toilets. The standard of the dormitories is improved every year, and some also consist of a sports hall and a fitness centre.
It will be possible for you to meet your buddies, dance, or listen to your favourite music in a student club that almost every dormitory has out there.
While studying at the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, you will come across several activity clubs as well where you will be able to perform horse riding, scuba diving, sailing, and so on. Here, you will definitely meet some individuals having the same interest as yours.
It is simply a part of the fantastic opportunities that are available to you in Kortowo. If you want more, you need to come and stay in Kortowo!